[NHCOLL-L:2922] RE: Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat etc.

Margot Brunn Margot.Brunn at gov.ab.ca
Tue Jan 10 15:11:17 EST 2006

The sentence: ...."my sense is that most museums with natural history collections already have sufficient representation of apparel made from protected species." caught me eye. Actually, considering the historic importance of trapping and the fur fashions industry, few museums collect fur products.

The Preprints of the workshop "Fur Trade Legacy: The Preservation of Organic Materials" has excellent papers on the topic of curating and advocacy, preserving and displaying historic fur fashions.

The Preprints were published by the Canadian Association for Conservation as part of the Jasper 2005 conference. Abstracts (p. 6-24) and order form are listed on http://www.cac-accr.ca/english/e-CAC-publications.asp

Margot Brunn
Conservator
Royal Alberta Museum
780-453-9167