[NHCOLL-L:3091] Shipping and packing of dangerous goods

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Fri Jun 2 11:18:22 EDT 2006

Hi all

The Special Interest Group discussion on packing and shipping of dangerous goods and my talk on the same subject given at the SPNHC meeting in Albuquerque last week generated a lot of interesting discussion and comment.

One aspect of this whole hornet's nest that got very little attention is how this affects incoming packages and also internal shipping within other countries.  I would be very interested in hearing from members outside of the US as to what regulations are in effect in your countries with regard to domestic shipping of dangerous goods?  What organization or group writes these regulations? What postal regulations are in place in your country with regard to shipping dangerous goods?  Do you have similar small/excepted quantity regulations that allow for the transport of limited quantities of dangerous goods?  How does your mailing system handle international packages?  Does your international mailing system follow IATA (international Aviation Transport Authority) regulations?  Are you using a courier for international shipments?

I would also be interested in copies of any pertinent regulations that I could use to compile a global picture of what we are dealing with - after all, this is a global problem we are facing.

I would appreciate any help that is forthcoming.  I am hoping to collate all of this information for use in a concerted effort to have regulations put in place for the shipping of natural history museum specimens.

Thanks in advance

Andy

   A  :             A  :             A  :
}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
   V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager
University of Kansas
Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
USA