[NHCOLL-L:3121] Cataloging and collections numbering online courses in July

Helen Alten helen at collectioncare.org
Wed Jun 21 15:18:26 EDT 2006

There are two complimentary on-line classes being offered in July at
www.museumclasses.org:
MS 208: Applying Numbers to Collections Objects and
MS 207: Cataloging Your Collection

Both courses last for four weeks. The instructors will be available at
predetermined intervals throughout the courses. Students work individually
and interact through forums and scheduled on-line chats.

MS 208: Applying Numbers to Collection Objects covers the materials and
methods of Object Numbering. Topics covered by the lecture include
registration steps, handling objects, labeling and marking overview, number
placement and documentation, health and safety concerns, tags and labels,
transponders and barcodes, surface marks, inks and paints and barrier
coats. Each student receives a collections labeling kit.

Course Goals:
To be able to determine what pen, ink, barrier coat, or tag is appropriate
for each object and storage or display situation.

Class Outline
1.      Introduction
2.      Basic Concepts
3.      Associating Numbers and Objects
4.      Applying Numbers to Objects: Barrier Coats and Direct Surface Marking
5.      Tools of Numbering
6.      Recommended Numbering Procedures for Specific Objects
7.      Conclusion

Instructor Helen Alten heads Northern States Conservation Center and has
been a member of the AIC/AAM Task Force on Numbering since the mid-90s.

“What I liked were the prodigious “handouts” that I printed off the net,
the illustrations and slides, and the fact that I could read and view on my
own schedule
. All in all, I learned more than I thought I would.  I and my
colleagues are eager to have the “handouts” in a binder for immediate and
future reference.” - Student in MS208

MS 207: Cataloging Your Collection covers the basics of collections
cataloging. Cataloging procedures are discussed in detail with sample forms
to support these procedures. Best practices for numbering artifacts are
presented, as well as how to perform inventories and condition reports.
Procedures for handling, measuring, and describing all types of objects and
materials will be discussed. Students will be asked to describe an everyday
object and practice cataloging several items from their own collections or
households.

Class Outline:
Cataloging Procedures: Why do we catalog our artifacts?
Forms
Numbering
Appropriate Materials
Specific Types of materials
Placement
Handling
Conservation and Storage
Condition Reports
General Care and Storage of Specific Objects
Inventories
Cataloging
General information
Describing Objects
Considerations for Specific Objects

Instructor Peggy Schaller heads Collections Research for Museums, a museum
consulting firm that specializes in cataloging/collection management
training and services. Their mission is to inspire museums to improve their
professional standards, collections stewardship and service to their
constituency through training in, and assistance with, documenting,
preserving, protecting and managing their collections.

How to sign up

If you are interested in either course, please sign up at
www.museumclasses.org and pay for the course at
http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html.  If you have trouble with
either, please contact Helen Alten at helen at collectioncare.org.  Each
course is $395.  There is a discount of $25 if you sign up for more than
one course.