[NHCOLL-L:3404] Re: FW: Re: bone glue?

CAHawks at aol.com CAHawks at aol.com
Sun Apr 22 10:25:33 EDT 2007

I agree with Sasha about the type of adhesive for this application.  However,
one question I have is the purpose of re-adhering the teeth. If the
specimens are slated for display, then re-adhering teeth is acceptable, but if  the
specimens are kept for research, then this may be detrimental to their  value.
It is virtually impossible for someone re-adhering teeth in a socket from
which soft tissues are no longer present to re-align the teeth to occlude as  they
did originally. If the occlusion matters, it is best left to competent
research to draw their own conclusions, rather than having to deal with someone
else's opinion, which may or may not be correct. Indeed, sometimes researchers
are forced to remove the adhesive so that they can examine the possible
occlusions.

Would it not be best to simply label the teeth so that they remain
associated with the skull and keep them in the same container with the rest of  the
specimen?

Cathy Hawks

In a message dated 4/16/2007 6:58:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,