[NHCOLL-L:3672] Collections Preservation Course starts online early January 2008

Helen Alten helen at collectioncare.org
Tue Dec 18 12:01:44 EST 2007

Northern States Conservation Center announces the
start of its basic course on collections
preservation, beginning in early January 2008.

MS 104 An Introduction to Collections Preservation
Instructor: Helen Alten
Dates: January 7 through February 1, 2008
Cost: $425
Location: www.museumclasses.org

Every museum professional needs a solid
foundation in preservation principles and
techniques. An Introduction to Collections
Preservation provides an overview of current
preservation issues from environmental monitoring
to collection cleaning, exhibit mounts and
storage furniture. Participants learn about every
aspect of the modern museum and how the building,
staff and fixtures affect preservation. Subjects
include the agents of deterioration, risk
management, object handling and transport, object
labeling, exhibit lighting, security, emergency
preparedness, materials for storage and display,
storage and exhibit philosophies, and condition assessments.

Course Outline:
1.      Preservation Principles
2.      Agents of Deterioration
3.      Monitoring
4.      Collection Handling
5.      Collection Labeling
6.      Collection Cleaning
7.      Storage Principles
8.      Exhibit Principles
9.      Emergency Preparation
10.     Conclusion

Logistics:
Participants in An Introduction to Collections
Preservation work at their own pace through 10
sections and interact through online forums and
chats. Instructor Helen Alten will be available
at scheduled times for email support. Materials
include online readings and lecture notes, slide
shows, quizzes and links to relevant web sites.
The course is limited to 20 participants.

An Introduction to Collections Preservation runs
for four weeks. Please sign up at
www.museumclasses.org and pay at
http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html.  If
you have trouble with either, please contact
Helen Alten at helen at collectioncare.org.

Student Comments:
“An online course like this is very convenient
for people who cannot attend classes in another
city.”  - August 2005 student in MS 104

“I didn't really know what to expect because I
had never taken an online class before, nor had a
taken any sort of collections/preservation class.
I definitely learned a lot; I now understand the
overall goals and practices of collections
preservation.” - August 2005 student in MS 104

“I particularly liked seeing images in the
PowerPoint slides. They really can add to the
understanding of a topic.” February 2005 student in MS 104

“I really enjoyed the excellent course reading
material.  It has really helped me understand so
much more about the work I do.” - February 2005 student in MS 104

“I’ve been working as a collection manager for 10
years.   I have no formal training in museum
techniques
I thought this class would solidify
everything I’ve learned.   I didn’t think I would
learn anything new, but I did. Great course.   I
would recommend it to anyone starting out in the
museum field.” - February 2005 student in MS 104

“My experience with the MS104 online course has
been exceptional, a 10!
 Thank you! Thank you
for such a high quality and demanding workshop!”
- February 2005 student in MS 104

“I AM THE ONE WHO SHOULD THANK YOU! EUREKA! I
REALLY GAINED ALOT AND REALLY ENJOYED STUDYING
WITH YOU.”  July 2004 student in MS 104

“It may have been an on-line course, but I feel
like I’ve got a textbook.  And one written by
many different sources, two heads being better
than one.” July 2004 student in MS 104

The Instructor:
Helen Alten is an objects conservator and owner
of Northern States Conservation Center, St. Paul,
Minnesota. She has been an educator, conservator
and trainer since 1986. Ms. Alten received her
master’s degree in archaeological conservation
and materials science at the Institute of
Archaeology, University of London in 1986. She
began working with small, rural, and tribal
museums as conservator for Montana and Alaska.