[NHCOLL-L:3293] RE: Gallon Size Clear Plastic Containers

Erik Åhlander Erik.Ahlander at nrm.se
Thu Jan 18 06:37:53 EST 2007

Did the alcohol concentration keep stable also? Some friends (commercial ecology investigators) kept about 10000 ethanol samples in plastic bottles. After some 10-15 years they realized that although the levels in the jars was OK the concentration was much lower through diffusion through the plastic. It was quit costly to refill the collection. No, I don't know what kind of plastic.

Erik Ahlander, Collection Manager - Fishes
Swedish Museum of Natural History
(Naturhistoriska riksmuseet)
Section for Vertebrate Zoology
(Frescativagen 40)
P.O. Box 50007; S-104 05 STOCKHOLM, Sweden
Phone +46 8 51954118; Fax +46 8 51954212
email: erik.ahlander at nrm.se