[NHCOLL-L:3499] polyethylene foam rod advice requested

Adrienne Raniszewski adrienne at raniszewski.com
Mon Jul 23 14:26:32 EDT 2007

The USGS vertebrate collection at the Museum of Southwestern Biology
is looking for a substitute for polyethylene (PE) caps because the
appropriate size for our glass shell vials is unavailable. Rather
than revert back to corks, which introduce acid into the collection,
we are considering using polyethylene foam rods (aka backer rods) as
plugs. They come in a variety of diameters, can be easily cut to any
length, and are said to be inert. Have any of you used backer rods
for this purpose? What do you think of the results? Do they stay put
over time? Or do they eventually mold to the shape of the vial,
becoming loose (as corks are known to do)? We can only find gray rods
in the size we need; do they come in white? What vendors have you
used? Any other advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

~ Adrienne

Adrienne Raniszewski
Scientific Aide