[NHCOLL-L:3514] Vial in jar system for wet collections

amsnyder at unm.edu amsnyder at unm.edu
Fri Jul 27 11:34:21 EDT 2007

Just a follow up to John Simmons' contribution to this discussion on glass
vial closures for wet collections.  I have used the vial-in-jar system for
about 20 years, in different collections, for ethanol or 5% buffered
formalin preserved fishes (eggs, larvae, and small collections) with
success. This system gives me a certain "peace of mind" because I do not
have to worry about closures backing off, popping out of vials, or
otherwise failing due to off gassing, air pressure changes, etc.  I have
not experienced loss of collections due to cotton plugs coming out of the
vial and cataloged specimens getting mixed.  If anything, I have to make
sure the students prepping the vials do not use so much of a plug that they
reduce the amount of fluid in the vial.

Our (Museum of Southwestern Biology)insect division is using the
vial-in-jar system, using smaller jars (1/2 and 1 liter captive lid jars)
for easier access.

For fishes, we use three liter Le Parfait jars or the French captive lid
jars with Buna-N gaskets.  No more than 40 shell glass vials (cataloged
lots) are placed in a jar; each jar is assigned an alphnumeric (eg.76-A20)
and contains vials of same species from same water drainage or whatever
geopolitical category that makes the most sense for your collection.  I
have found that looking through 40 vials for one vial is not terribly
laborious.  By querying the collections' database, individual vials are
easily located. (Like other databases for specimen information,ours has a
field displaying information on specimen/lot deposition.)

Sources:  shell glass vials, 6 dram and 8 dram, either from VWR or Fisher,
depending on who is cheaper.  VWR: Cat. 66020-197 and -198

Le Parfait 3 liter jars, Riekes Glass Distributing, Dallas PH.214.638.9091
In the past,I purchased from Chelsea Bottle Co. PH.617.884.2323

White Buna-N rubber, 50/55 Duro 3/32" thick, Manufactured Rubber Products,
Philadelphia PH.215.533.3600  We replace the orange gaskets that come with
French captive lid jars with these gaskets.  This material lasts a lot
longer.

Alexandra M. Snyder
Collections Manager-Fishes
Museum of Southwestern Biology