[NHCOLL-L:3472] Re: the odor of PDB & respirators

Victoria Book vbook at ou.edu
Thu Jun 21 12:33:37 EDT 2007

Hi Leishawn,

I will leave the PDB question to someone else, but I think that PDB
works by subliming so you may be stuck with the odor in the orphaned
collection.  Fans might help in other areas.  About respirators, any
NIOSH approved respirator is good, but the preference is very personal
and depends on the shape of your face and how your face moves when you
talk or make facial expressions.  You and anyone helping will need to
be "fit-tested" for the style that works for you each individually.

You will need to try several different brands and sizes.  Universities
have health and safety officers that have a large selection of
respirators on hand that they can test, but if you aren't at a
university you may have to find a local resource to do the OSHA
fit-test.  Anyone (including you!) can do a fit test, but not everyone
has a selection of respirators handy.

Be safe,
Victoria

Victoria Book
Conservator
Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History
University of Oklahoma
2401 Chautauqua Avenue
Norman, Oklahoma   73072-7029
phone 405.325.5163