[NHCOLL-L:3422] RE: marking amber

Joy Irving joyirving at hotmail.com
Tue May 1 06:08:31 EDT 2007

Dear Beth,

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean by your query, but we use
Paraloid B.72 to apply very small printed paper labels (printed directly
from the specimens database) bearing the accession number and name of the
institution, and then place in the most inoffensive position on the amber.
We just follow the instructions on the tube, in that we place glue on the
paper label and also on the amber, separately, leave to dry, so that there
is a good surface to attach to, and also so that the printer ink does not
run, and then glue the two surfaces together.

Hope this is helpful!

Joy Irving.
Dept. of Mineralogy,
Oxford University Museum of Natural History,
Parks Road,
Oxford.
OX1 3PW
U.K.