[NHCOLL-L:3626] RE: effects of nitrogen gas?

Andrew Campbell a.campbell at ou.edu
Thu Nov 1 11:31:40 EDT 2007

Hi Leishawn,

   The occasional science demonstration with liquid Nitrogen poses no
danger to the collection through the effects of Nitrogen, N2, gas.
N2 is inert, and will not react chemically with exhibits or
specimens.  Earth's atmosphere is 78.084% Nitrogen gas, and the
effect of the diffusion of a small amount from a Dewar is negligible.

   The danger of liquid Nitrogen to the collection is the freezing
and temperature shock potential, this along with the dehumidification
of the chilled air (the fog from dry ice) and precipitation of this
water onto surfaces.  However, if you are not conducting chemical
demonstrations in close proximity to your specimens' microclimates,
the liquid Nitrogen is not a problem.

   Be sure that you are using liquid Nitrogen rather than liquid
air.  As the Nitrogen boils off from the liquid air, you are left
with liquid Oxygen, which has a higher boiling point.  Liquid Oxygen
is a very pretty blue color, but is highly flammable and explosive.

    N2 can be used as part of a fire suppression system by displacing
O2 in a room and asphyxiating the fire.  The N2 fire suppression
systems I checked on line reduce the concentration of O2 in the local
atmosphere from 20.946% to about 12% and extinguish the fire.
Unhappily, as an atmosphere with less than 19.5% O2 is considered
IDLH (Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health) this system would
also 'suppress' any curator, collection manager, volunteer, or
visitor caught in that environment.

   Again, N2 is inert and will not react with anything in a museum
environment.

Cheers,

Andrew Campbell

SNOMNH