[NHCOLL-L:3614] Mold on specimens

Benjamin Hess Benjamin.Hess at ncmail.net
Tue Oct 30 14:43:09 EDT 2007

We have a case that is used as a reference case and contains a
collection of mammals that are present around a local river.  On the top
drawer of the case are bats and some other mammals that have mold on
them.  Do you know of a best way to treat skins with mold?  Also, is
there any kind of procedure that will keep mold spores from being
released as you are treating the specimens?   It appears that only the
one drawer contains any mold, but if it is present in this case, we want
to take precaution with the entire case.  Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.  Thank you for your help!

Ben

Benjamin M. Hess
Mammal Collection Manager