[NHCOLL-L:3620] Looking for picture of the strangest thing in your collection

Elizabeth Merritt emerritt at aam-us.org
Wed Oct 31 09:12:19 EDT 2007

Dear Colleagues,

For a talk I am giving at the Nordiska Museet in Stockholm in a couple
of weeks, I am looking for digital images of some of the strange things
that end up in our collections. You know, the stuff that was accepted
because it belonged to the founder, or was offered by a major donor who
you hoped would eventually give you the good stuff, or just the classic
"it seemed like a good idea at the time." The sort of thing that elicits
the reaction "what the heck is this doing here?"

I would much appreciate it if anyone is willing to share digital images
of such objects, with a brief explanation of why they do not, in fact,
fit logically into your collections. Please reply off-list. I will not
attribute the object to your museum if you prefer anonymity. Thank you
so much!

Elizabeth Merritt
AAM and SPNHC liaision to the RC-AAM
Director, Museum Advancement & Excellence
American Association of Museums
1575 Eye Street N.W., Suite 400
Washington, DC 20005
(202)218-7661

Plan now to attend the 2008 AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo(tm)
www.aam-us.org/am/08