[NHCOLL-L:3571] RE: Mammoth Posting for a Colleague

Demouthe, Jean jdemouthe at calacademy.org
Tue Sep 11 12:29:29 EDT 2007

We use a single catalog number for such a specimen, with two decimals after
the number.  So you can get 100 specimens on one catalog entry.  Then you
have a choice as to whether you enter the individual bones as separate
records in the database.  If a specimen has over 100 pieces, then you will
have to use two catalog numbers, beginning again with xxxxx.01

If you use letters mixed with numbers, a computer database will have trouble
seeing it as a number and as a result attempts to sort or search that field
may not be completely successful.  Numbers containing dashes or more than one
periods will have the same problem.

You could also use two separate fields to describe the parts of a specimen.
The first field contains the catalog or accession number (an integer, with no
decimals), and the second can contain integers beginning with one, which
would be assigned along with the first number to each specimens.  The two
fields together would constitute a unique number for each specimen piece.

Jean DeMouthe
Senior Collections Manager for Geology
California Academy of Sciences
875 Howard St