[NHCOLL-L:3574] Re: NPS specimen issue and NSCA

Thomas Labedz tlabedz1 at unl.edu
Wed Sep 12 17:32:35 EDT 2007

I believe the question concerning NHCOLL-L readers is less whether the
NPS specimen policy is directly impacting research, and perhaps more
about who owns and who is responsible for the maintenance of the
specimens.  I will give the utmost care to specimens owned by my
museum, and I will give special treatment to specimens owned by other
museums that are on loan to my institution.  But if my museum does not
own a specimen it can be very difficult to invest the facilities,
staff, and money to maintain that specimen.  And it is very difficult
for my institution to state that a specimen will be available for
research if we don't own it.  And, what if a specimen not owned by our
institution, but is maintained by our institution, has been used in
research and has had its "permanent" catalog number used in
publication?  If we do not own that specimen, and cannot prevent recall
by its owner, then we are not acting responsibly as a permanent
repository for specimens vouchering research.  This is where I think
NPS specimen policy hinders research.
	Thomas E. Labedz, Collections Manager
Division of Zoology and Division of Botany
University of Nebraska State Museum
W-436 Nebraska Hall
Lincoln, NE  68588-0514
402/472-8366    fax 402/472-8949