[NHCOLL-L:3822] Stolen Private Collection

Shirley Albright Shirley.Albright at SOS.STATE.NJ.US
Tue Apr 8 18:45:01 EDT 2008

I realize these objects don't qualify as natural history items, but some
you out there may come across them on Ebay or elsewhere.    Just getting
the word out.   See following for details:

Good evening.

My museum was notified today of a private collection of antique tennis
racquets that was stolen from a collector on March 20th. I realize that
many of the RC-AAM members do not normally collect sporting
memorabilia-especially tennis-but I thought I would pass the word on in
case any organization or individual is approached about this collection,
whether it be for donation, appraisal, information on where one could
sell such a collection, and so forth. In case anyone was wondering,
sports antiques and collectibles is a pretty hot market...not
necessarily in the same category as a collection of Old Masters, but
still very competitive around the world. Rare, antique tennis racquets
in good condition can be worth in the thousands of dollars.

The details of the theft as it was reported to us: On March 20th, Ken
Roush had his entire collection of 120 antique and collectible tennis
racquets stolen from his property. The racquets were numbered and
individually "poly-bagged". Mr. Roush is a member of the Tennis
Collectors of America and is an avid collector. He realizes that he may
never see his collection again, but he really hopes to get it back as it
is one of his passions. I have been in contact with Mr. Roush and he has
told me he will get me a full inventory and hopefully some digital
images of this collection (if anyone is interested, contact me off-list
and I can send the partial listing he has already provided). He told me
he was in the midst of cataloguing his collection when it was stolen.

If anyone is approached about such a collection, please gather as much
information as you can. You can contact me and I can forward the
information on, or you can contact the private collector directly (see
below).

Ken Roush
ken at exhibitsquare.com
(800) 772-0325

Ken Roush
PO Box 220
9870 N. Sooner Lane
Marana, AZ 85653

Thank you,

Nicole F. Markham

Curator of Collections

International Tennis Hall of Fame & Museum

194 Bellevue Avenue

Newport, RI  02840

(p) 401/ 849-3990

(f) 401/ 851-7920

(e) markham at tennisfame.com

(w) www.tennisfame.com

Shirley S. Albright

Assistant Curator, Natural History

EMu Database Manager

Manager, Technology and Museum Information Systems

New Jersey State Museum

240 W. State St., 14th floor

PO Box 530

Trenton, NJ  08625-0530