[NHCOLL-L:4119] Re: Flammability of Plastic Crates in Alcohol Storage

Gretchen Anderson gretcha at smm.org
Wed Dec 10 21:40:16 EST 2008

Chris,
We used plastic milk crates to move the wet collection, and then stored it for some time until the shelving was put in place. There is a page and diagram describing the wet collection move in Moving the Mountain: SMM Guide to Moving Collections. p. 84.

We prepared the crates by lining them with 1/2" ethafoam to mitigate vibration. Packed them with jars, dividing the jars with ethafoam spacers to prevent them from knocking together. For smaller jars, we added layers to maximize space efficiency.

While the threat of fire is a risk, the advantages outweigh the disadvantage.
1. The crates are stronger than cardboard - less likely to break
2. They are not solid - so if there is breakage (we had none) the most of the liquid can leak out. With cardboard the liquid would be absorbed.
3. Easy to carry, easy to stack and stable. We filled the foot print of the pallet and stacked up to 3 crates high before shrink wrapping them for the move.
4. Our fire marshall was ok with using them.
5. Kept the collection in good order until it was installed on proper shelving.

We were considering these as move containers and temporary storage only. However, I can envision ways to section them for longer term storage , using removalble/divided trays to lift. That is if your fire marshal says it is ok.

Gretchen Anderson
Conservator
Science Museum of Minnesota
651-221-4764