[NHCOLL-L:3991] Fwd: CAP Assessor Update Fall 2008

CAHawks at aol.com CAHawks at aol.com
Fri Oct 10 06:51:11 EDT 2008

Catharine Hawks
Conservator
2419 Barbour Road
Falls Church  VA 22043-3026 USA
t/f 703.876.9272

____________________________________
 From: heritage at heritage.pmailus.com
To: cahawks at aol.com
Sent: 10/9/2008  4:39:35 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: CAP Assessor Update Fall  2008

Sent by: Heritage  Preservation
_Reply to the sender_
(http://heritage.pmailus.com/pmailweb/f?cide=AUOHZgQHk_zapj3jUg)
(http://heritage.pmailus.com/pmailweb/raf?ide=Aa6KKDE2WARexmrt7lq-rR3qtZ_8)
CAP  Assessor Update Fall 2008       In this Update:    _
CAP Changes for  2009_ (mip://049b4d48/default.html#articles_1)   _
Historic Structures  Reports_ (mip://049b4d48/default.html#articles_2)   _
Staff  Changes_ (mip://049b4d48/default.html#articles_3)
CAP Changes for  2009
Allocation Amounts  Increase
For the 2009 CAP year, the  allocation amounts will be raised 10%.  The
increases are as follows:
One Assessor
Museum  Budget          CAP  allocation    Estimated museum  cost
Less than  $250,000            $3,590                    $430
$250,000 to $1,000,000        $3,490                    $530
More than  $1,000,000          $3,390                    $630
Two Assessors
Museum  Budget           CAP  allocation    Estimated museum  cost
Less than  $250,000             $7,190                    $670
$250,000 to  $1,000,000         $7,020                    $850
More than  $1,000,000          $6,840                    $1,020While fewer
museums  will be able to participate in the program, Heritage  Preservation felt
it was necessary to increase the  allocation amounts due to the rising cost
of  energy.
The Institute of  Museum and Library Services (IMLS) will be funding the
2009 program with an extension to its three-year  cooperative agreement with
Heritage Preservation. In  January 2009, we will submit a new cooperative
agreement proposal for the 2010, 2011, and 2012  programs. Assessor input is needed
for this proposal.  Last year, we asked you to tell us the amount of time
assessors spend on site visits and report  writing. This information was  useful
but we need more specific data to make a strong  case for increasing funding
for the program. Please go  to
_http://www.formdesk.com/heritagepreservation/CAPAssessor_ (http://heritage.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=GHPTjwAuAAEAAAxNAAIuDA)
to complete a  seven-question  survey.  Thanks for your  help!

2009 Expedited  Schedule
CAP has always been  administered on a set schedule, in which applications
are received in the fall, agreements with assessors  are negotiated in the
spring, and site visits begin in  the summer. For the 2009 program, Heritage
Preservation will pilot an expedited process. Eligible  2009 participants will be
notified of their acceptance  into the program one month after the receipt of
their  completed application and will be encouraged to  contact assessors
immediately. Therefore, be prepared  to begin planning 2009 assessments as early
as  November 2008. Site visits may occur as early as  January 1, 2009. We hope
that this new schedule will  capture the enthusiasm of applicants who are
motivated  to start CAP to improve conditions at their  museums. By shortening the
length of time it takes to  complete the program, CAPped museums will be able
to  move forward accessing other grant opportunities, such  as the National
Endowment for the Humanities’  Preservation Assistance Grants (annual deadline
in the  spring) and IMLS’ Conservation Project Support (annual  deadline in
the fall).
2009 CAP Report Deadline for  Assessors
Please note that the  expedited 2009 CAP reports must be completed and sent
to Heritage Preservation by November 1,  2009. Due to our guidelines to
conclude our  first cooperative agreement with the Institute of  Museum and Library
Services, NO EXTENSIONS WILL BE  GIVEN.  If you are contacted by  a 2009
participant, please carefully consider if you  can complete a 2009 CAP by November
1,  2009.  We can not guarantee payment  for reports submitted after this
date.
During 2009 Heritage Preservation will be  evaluating the success of the
expedited schedule and  may opt to extend the period for accepting  applications
for future years of the program. We look  forward to having your  feedback.

Historic Structures  Reports
Heritage Preservation  occasionally receives requests for information about
Historic Structures Reports (HSR). While we are  familiar with the basic
information on HSRs provided  by the National Park Service, we would like to know
more, such as the approximate costs of an HSR and how  museums have raised the
money to fund these detailed  assessments. If you have conducted HSRs and can
share  this information with the CAP staff, we  would be very grateful!
Contact us at _cap at heritagepreservation.org_ (mailto:cap at heritagepreservation.org)
 or  202-233-0800.
Staff  Changes
CAP Program Associate Jimena Rojas has become  Heritage Preservation's new
Web and Publications  Coordinator. We thank her for all her great work with  CAP
and wish her the best of luck in her new  position.
Sarah Glass is the new CAP Program Assistant. In  May 2008, Sarah received
her undergraduate degree from  Harvard University in Social Anthropology and
Archaeology. Her previous experience includes research  internships at the
Smithsonian's National Museum of  the American Indian and the Harvard Peabody
Museum of  Archaeology and Ethnology. We think she will be a  great addition to the
CAP team. Welcome Sarah!
Kate Marks is  leaving Heritage Preservation to become the Outreach  and
Partnership Coordinator for War of 1812  Bicentennial Program with the State of
Maryland.  Kate has been a valued member of  the Heritage Preservation staff and
oversaw CAP  through significant changes in recent years; she will  be
greatly missed. Heritage Preservation is currently  interviewing candidates for the
CAP Coordinator  position and will announce Kate's successor in the  coming
weeks. Kristen Overbeck Laise, Vice President  for Collections Care Programs,
supervises CAP and is  available to answer any questions you might have  during
this  transition.
Heritage Preservation
1012 14th Street, NW
Suite 1200
Washington, DC 20005
202-233-0800
_www.heritagepreservation.org_
(http://heritage.pmailus.com/pmailweb/ct?d=GHPTjwAxAAEAAAE8AAIuDA)
This e-mail was  sent from Heritage Preservation
Immediate removal  with PatronMail®
_SecureUnsubscribe_
(http://heritage.pmailus.com/pmailweb/uss?ide=Aa6KKDE2WARexmrt7lq-rR3qtZ_8) .
 (http://www.patrontechnology.com/lp/lp_gen1.htm)   To forward this e-mail to