[NHCOLL-L:4011] DGR Problems when shipping formalin fixed sharks

Neumann Dirk Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Fri Oct 17 03:38:02 EDT 2008

We had recently larger problems, when trying to ship formalin preserved
sharks (fixed in 4 % diluted formalin solution)  via DHL airfreight to
from Chile to Germany. Normally, formalin with a concentration less then
24 % is not regarded (and regulated) as air dangerous good. However,
recently there was an update concerning formalin in the IATA-Handbook:

Liquid, waterbased formalin solution (UN 2209) is allowed up to an
concentration of 24 %. Under this UN-number there is no further restriction.

In the 48th Ed. of the IATA Handbook, below the entry of formaldehyde,
liquid, flammable (UN 1198), there are several further restrictions
concerning formaldehyde:
Formaldehyde, with a formaldehyde concentration of 10 % or more, but
less then 25 % is classified as UN 3334, aircargo restricted liquid.

It was a hard fight to convince the DHL office in Santiago de Chile that
the shpmt is not DGR (4 % formalin), and is not restricted from UN 3334.
They pointed out, that we faxed a material safety data sheet (MSDS) for
concentrated formalin (37 %); this was the only thing we had, since
formalin (at least in Germany) is sold concentrated only.

Has anyone a MSDS for 4 % formalin, which we could use ?
Has anyone faced similar problems with UN 3334 when shipping formalin
fixed material ?

Thanks for suggestions & comments

Dirk

--
Dirk Neumann
Zoologische Staatssammlung München

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Tel: +49-89-8107-111