[NHCOLL-L:4028] Fwd: [icom-cc-ethno] ICOM-CC Conference in Delhi: highlights and next steps

CAHawks at aol.com CAHawks at aol.com
Fri Oct 24 14:44:43 EDT 2008

Catharine Hawks
Conservator
2419 Barbour Road
Falls Church  VA 22043-3026 USA
t/f 703.876.9272

____________________________________
 From: Carole_Dignard at pch.gc.ca
To: icom-cc-ethno at yahoogroups.com
Sent:  10/24/2008 11:28:25 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: [icom-cc-ethno]  ICOM-CC Conference in Delhi: highlights and next steps

Dear members of the ICOM-CC Working Group on Ethnographic Collections:
Now that I have settled back from my trip to the 15th Triennial  Conference
in India, I would like to briefly share with you some highlights,  and give you
a heads-up on various next steps.
Our Working Group Session (3/4 day) was very interesting and inspiring,  with
8 stimulating papers and 4 posters presented. Additionally two excellent
papers originating from our Working Group were presented within the Plenary
Session: Tharron Bloomfield's Pupura te mahara - Preserving the Memory:  Working
with Maori Communities on Preservation Projects in Aotearoa / New  Zealand and
Renata Peters' The Brave New World of Conservation.  These, followed by the
paper by Veerle Meul, Safeguarding the significance  of ensembles: value
assessments in Risk Management for Cultural Heritage,  created a thought-provoking,
energizing plenary session on the purpose and  goals of conservation and the
different values that are inherent or attributed  to heritage.
For those of you who could not attend the meeting in New Delhi: The
preprints are printed in India by Allied Publishers Pvt. Ltd. ISBN:  978-81-8424-For
those of you who could not attend the meeting in New Delhi: The
pre_editorials at alliedpueditorialedi_ (mailto:editorials at alliedpublishers.com)

or ICCROM, Rome: _publications at publicatio_ (mailto:publications at iccrom.org)
The conference was attended by over 600 delegates, almost a third of them
being from India and other Asian countries. There were vivid discussions and
exchanges of ideas and experiences. In particualr, members of our Working  Group
had the privilege of being invited to a reception and dinner hosted by  the
Sangeet Natak Academy of Music to visit its outstanding collection of  Indian
musical instruments and take part in an exchange on the care and use of  their
collection with local Indian researchers, musicians and musical  instruments
makers and repairers. It was interesting to meet the Indian  colleagues and to
have the opportunity to see their work and hear their points  of view.
The Thangka Session was a great success -- several colleagues told me that
it was one of the highlights of the conference -- providing many examples of
successful collaborations, as well as many diverse viewpoints and approaches
not only from speakers from different countries (North America, Europe, India
and Asia) but as well from the different perspectives of a museum, private
sector and private collectors, or local and religious communities.The Thangka
Session was a great success -- several colleagues told me that  it was one of
the highlights of the conference -- providing many examples of  successful
collaborations, as well as many
During our Working Group's Business Meeting, an important development was
the decision to form a committee to rethink the title of our Working Group: is
the use of the word "ethnographic" still pertinent in 2008 and respectful to
communities of origin? This was initiated following Tharron Bloomfield's open
criticism of the use of this word. I will follow-up with you later on this.
Our Working Group Program was tentatively approved, which will also be
circulated to you later. Those present confirmed by vote my re-election as
Coordinator - thank you! All of the Assistant Coordinators have agreed to  remain: Kim
Cullen-Cobb, Farideh Fekrsanati, Monika Harter, Jessica Johnson,  Marian
Kaminitz and Janet Mason.
At the General Assembly, the document 'Terminology to characterize the
Conservation of tangible cultural heritage' was submitted, in English and  in
French, as a resolution to the ICOM-CC membership in New Delhi and was  adopted by
a large majority. You can find the documents and a commentary about  the aims,
working method and approach at the ICOM-CC website _www.icom-cc2008.www_
(http://www.icom-cc2008.org/) .
A major initiative for ICOM-CC is its new website, which was launched in
Delhi; Members will receive - imminently - an email asking them to sign-in.  [For
a preview see:  http://www.icom-A major inA major initiatA major initiA major
initiative for ICOM-CC is its new website, which was launched in  Delhi;
Members will receive - imminently - an email asking them to sign-in.  [For a
preview see:
http://www.icom-<WBR>cc.org/26/<WBR>working-groups/<WBR>ethnographic-<WBR>collections/  -- but be aware that the website is still under
construction and not yet  totally functional.] Non-members will still be able to view
announcements, the  calendar, the forum dA major initiative for ICOM-CC is its
new webs
The next Triennial Conference will take place in Lisbon, Portugal in
September 2011l. Please start thinking now about your submission; the deadline  for
abstracts should fall around April 2010.
Best regards,
Carole Dignard, Coordinator, Working Group on Ethnographic Collections
Senior Conservation, Canadian Conservation Institute / Institut canadien de
conservation, 1030 Innes Road / 1030, chemin Innes, Ottawa (Ontario) Canada
K1A 0M5, Tel. 613-998-3721 x 151 / Tél. 613-998-3721 poste 151, Toll free -
sans frais: 1-866-998-3721 , Fax. 613-998-4721
__._,_.___
_Messages  in this topic _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icom-cc-ethno/message/553;_ylc=X3oDMTMyaXAzODNlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMjIzNzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA
1MDYzOTg1BG1zZ0lkAzU1MwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyMjQ4NjIwNjMEdHBjSWQDN
TUz) (1) _Reply (via web post) _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icom-cc-ethno/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJvcmNtYmZ0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMjIzNzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1
MDYzOTg1BG1zZ0lkAzU1MwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzEyMjQ4NjIwNjM-?act=reply
&messageNum=553) | _Start  a new topic _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icom-cc-ethno/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlNDVmZTRnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMjIzNzIEZ3Jwc3BJ
ZAMxNzA1MDYzOTg1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTIyNDg2MjA2Mw--)
_Messages_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icom-cc-ethno/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbm9jcTcxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMjIzNzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzOTg1BHNlYwNmdH
IEc2xrA21zZ3MEc3RpbWUDMTIyNDg2MjA2Mw--)   | _Files_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icom-cc-ethno/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJmOTlyMms1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMjIz
NzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzOTg1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2ZpbGVzBHN0aW1lAzEyMjQ4NjIwNjM-)
  | _Photos_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icom-cc-ethno/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbms3N2VmBF9TAzk3MzU
5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMjIzNzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzOTg1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Bob3QEc3RpbWUDMTIyNDg2MjA2Mw--)   | _Links_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icom-cc-ethno/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMjEyazZxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMjIz
NzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzOTg1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2xpbmtzBHN0aW1lAzEyMjQ4NjIwNjM-)
  | _Database_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icom-cc-ethno/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJjcW9jdDlkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMjIzNzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzOTg1BHNlYw
NmdHIEc2xrA2RiBHN0aW1lAzEyMjQ4NjIwNjM-)   | _Polls_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icom-cc-ethno/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJmcDdidjc2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMjIz
NzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzOTg1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3BvbGxzBHN0aW1lAzEyMjQ4NjIwNjM-)
  | _Members_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icom-cc-ethno/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJlajZwcjhxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMjIzNzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzOTg1BHNlYwNm
dHIEc2xrA21icnMEc3RpbWUDMTIyNDg2MjA2Mw--)   | _Calendar_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icom-cc-ethno/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJkNWZndmRyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElk
AzMwMjIzNzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzOTg1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2NhbARzdGltZQMxMjI0ODYyMD
Yz)

_Change  settings via the Web_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icom-cc-ethno/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmcGpnYzRoBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzMwMjIzNzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MD
YzOTg1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0aW1lAzEyMjQ4NjIwNjM-)  (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email:  _Switch  delivery to Daily Digest_
(mailto:icom-cc-ethno-digest at yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest)  | _Switch
format to Traditional_
(mailto:icom-cc-ethno-traditional at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional)
_Visit  Your Group _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icom-cc-ethno;_ylc=X3oDMTJkOGQ3ZDBzBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzMwMjIzNzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzOTg1
BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQMxMjI0ODYyMDYz) | _Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use _
(http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/) | _Unsubscribe  _

Recent Activity
    *    2
_New  Members_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icom-cc-ethno/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMWZwdjFqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMjIzNzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzOTg1BHNlYwN
2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEyMjQ4NjIwNjM-)

_Visit  Your Group _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/icom-cc-ethno;_ylc=X3oDMTJlOTVwaWJmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzMwMjIzNzIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzOTg1BHNlYwN2d
GwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTIyNDg2MjA2Mw--)

Yahoo! Groups
_Dog  Lovers Group_
(http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13ob7iqcd/M=493064.12016263.12445670.8674578/D=groups/S=1705063985:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1224869263/L=/B=QajOAELaX
.Q-/J=1224862063837709/A=5522133/R=0/SIG=11k97shp3/*http://advision.webevents.