[NHCOLL-L:4034] Re: Barcodes in natural history collections

Kent D. Perkins kperkins at flmnh.ufl.edu
Mon Oct 27 17:36:44 EDT 2008

Andrew,
We use Code 39 at the University of Florida Herbarium, Florida Museum of
Natural History.  There is a nice, but aging, overview, BarCode
Technology for Herbarium and Museum Biological Collections:
http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/HISCOM/barcode/barcode.html

Our format is FLAS #, where FLAS is our acronym and # is a non-zero
padded accession number.
E.g.:
FLAS 1
FLAS B1
FLAS 123456
FLAS 4567A

We also include the accession information and our institution's name on
the bar code in readable form:
E.g.:
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herbarium/specimens/zoom/imagezoom.asp?image=222864a1

Best wishes,
Kent

Kent D. Perkins <kperkins at flmnh.ufl.edu>, Manager of the Collection
University of Florida Herbarium (FLAS), Fla. Museum of Nat. History
379 Dickinson Hall, PO Box 110575, Gainesville, FL  32611-0575
* New Phone # 352-273-1984  * WWW: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herbarium/