[NHCOLL-L:4037] Safe disposal of picric acid

Morris, Robert (SAM) Morris.Robert at saugov.sa.gov.au
Tue Oct 28 02:54:46 EDT 2008

Dear All,

We have a number of Helminth specimens housed in picric acid solution
that we would like to rebottle and store in a less volatile medium. The
specimens remain in solution but are housed in old food jars with metal
lids. This really is an OHS no no and one we need to address before the
safety auditors land on our doorsteps.  Although reasonably stable if
left alone, our fear is that by trying to unscrew the metal lids we may
ignite the crystalline form that may have formed on the underside of the
lids.

One thought would be to immerse the jars in a water tank and allow them
to slowly fill with water before attempting to unscrew the lids. Has
anyone encountered this problem and if so what methods did you adopt to
safely extract specimens from picric acid solution?

Any advice would be appreciated

 Robert Morris

Head of Collections

South Australian Museum

North Terrace, Adelaide SA 5000

Tel. +61 (0)8 82077455, Fax. +61 (0)8 82077222

www.samuseum.sa.gov.au

This email and any attachments may contain confidential information. If
you are not the intended recipient any use, disclosure or reproduction
of the contents is unauthorised. If you have received this email in
error please notify the sender by return email. This email and any
attachments should be scanned to detect any viruses and no liability for
loss or damage resulting from the use of any attached file is accepted.