[NHCOLL-L:4052] RE: Fwd: [H&S] Fwd: Safe disposal of picric acid

Peter Frank PFRANK at mus-nature.ca
Thu Oct 30 12:10:57 EDT 2008

Are you sure that it is picric acid and not Bouin's fluid?  Bouin's is a histological fixative composed of picric acid, formalin and glacial acetic acid.  As is evaporates, the picric acid can crystalize.  It still needs to be handled with care.

Peter Frank
Chief Registrar / Registraire en chef
Canadian Museum of Nature / Musée canadien de la nature

Tel: 613-364-4089
Fax: 613-364-4029
Visit us at http://www.nature.ca <http://www.nature.ca/>