[NHCOLL-L:4056] RE: Fwd: [H&S] Fwd: Safe disposal of picric acid

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 13:45:07 EDT 2008

Picric acid is most commonly used in Bouin's Solution, which is a
histological fixative.  Bouin's Solution is has a distinctive yellow color.
Specimens that were once fixed in Bouin's and later transferred to alcohol
may still contain traces of the picric acid in Bouin's Solution.  Picric
acid is not dangerous as long as it is in solution, but when it dries it is
very explosive.  Yet another reason why the preservation history of
specimens should be part of the catalog record...Unfortunately, we rarely
have this information for our collections.

--John

John E. Simmons
Museologica
128 E. Burnside Street
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823-2010
simmons.johne at gmail.com
303-681-5708
and
Adjunct Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
19 Deike Building
University Park, Pennsylvania 16802-2709
jes67 at psu.edu