[NHCOLL-L:4420] Re: Fungus infected botanical specimens, solution?

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Mon Aug 3 02:30:17 EDT 2009

Dear Alina,

here in Munich was a similar problem with a moulded anatomical reference
collection; the collection was irradiated with gamma rays to stop and
destroy the fungi. Gamma irradiation of vegetables e.g. is a standard
treatment to prevent any potential pests from food imports. The strength
of the gamma radiation is about the same as produced by a diagnostic
X-ray machine, and significantly lower energy than the therapeutic
treatment X-rays produced by linac machines in cancer.

Gamma rays are absorbed from animal and vegetable tissues; cells keep
alive but have high radiation damages, which cause cells death during
the the next cell division cycle, when the protein synthesis fails and
the DNA molecule can't be repaired. Same applies to our mushroom friends ...

Hope this helps

Dirk

--
Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/