[NHCOLL-L:4157] RE: Cleaning oxidized pyrite mineral specimens

Gregory Brown gbrown1 at unl.edu
Wed Jan 14 08:52:45 EST 2009

Robyn,

I hesitate to contribute to this thread since you have already heard from some of the best minds in
geological conservation and I'm merely a vertebrate paleo preparator, but...

Two things you might want to keep in mind, one perhaps more philosophical, one practical:
1) To borrow loosly from Freud...sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, or in the case of minerals, sometimes
(depending upon mineral species) oxidation, although perhaps not aesthetically pleasing, is a legitimate
part of the mineral specimen. Removal in that case is neither necessary nor wise since oxidation (again,
depending upon mineral species) is not necessarily damaging and treatment itself may be! (Obviously, if
you are actually dealing with pyrite decay, this does not apply.)

2) If cleaning is warranted, it is only the first step.  All treated specimens, at the very least, must
be provided with a storage environment that effectively controls RH levels to prevent a recurrence of the
problem.  Contrary to some proprietary claims, there is no effective treatment (sealant, consolidant or
other goop) that can prevent pyrite oxidation in a specimen stored in high RH.  Depending upon the
specimen, you may even want to consider anoxic enclosures.

I'd recommend consulting with a mineral conservator that can look at your actual specimens and determine
the best treatments.  Also recommended: The Care and Conservation of Geological Material: Minerals,
Rocks, Meteorites and Lunar Finds by Frank Howie(Butterworth - Heinemann Series in Conservation and
Museology) and the excellent three volume Science for Conservators series published by the Museums and
Galleries Commission.  These references are very helpful in providing a non-conservator with the basic
information they need to assess the value and appropriateness of treatments they may be considering.

Greg

Gregory Brown
Chief Preparator
Vertebrate Paleontology