[NHCOLL-L:4176] cleaning nicotine-staining off mineral specimens?

Vicen Carrio v.carrio at nms.ac.uk
Wed Jan 28 08:48:46 EST 2009

Hi,

Thanks to everybody that responded so quick.

Here are the answers in case anyone is interested.

Thanks again,

Vicen

============================

Hi Vicen,

Here's a summary of my enquiry...

We've just been given a rather nice mineral collection. Previously, the specimens had spent several decades on open display shelving, in a cigarette-smoke rich atmosphere. Many of the specimens have a dull yellowish nicotine/smoke/dust tinge, which impairs the natural colour/lustre, and reduces their visual appeal.

Is there a particular recommended way of removing this, and restoring the original lustre of the specimens? Obviously there is a wide range of minerals species with different chemical properties, so particular treatments may not be appropriate for everything. However, any suggestions gratefully recieved, especially if they can be performed safely in an open sink or similar. If necessary, fume-cupboard approaches might also be feasible though.

Thanks

John

Dear Vicen,

Acetone is worth a try but needs to be used in a fume cupboard or the open air.

Regards,

Stuart Baldwin, PhC., BSc (Open), FGS, FLS, FRI Baldwin's Scientific Books

18 School Road, Wickham Bishops, WITHAM, Essex, England, CM8 3NU

Tel: 01621 891526 Fax: 01621 891522

www.secondhandsciencebooks.com

Vicen - We have used a laser to remove the carbon deposits from materials caught in a fire - there are other ways of removing nicotine using solvents but you would have to be obviously careful

Chris Collins [chris.collins at nhm.ac.uk]

TSP, Trisodium Phosphate, removes nicotine but I don't know how it would react with different minerals.  They would have to research each mineral or test on a small area first (and make sure no residue is left on the mineral after treatment).  Laser cleaning could be an option.  Laser cleaning has worked well when removing soot from minerals after a fire.

Cheers,

Lu Allington

Maybe try a low pH bath of baking (bicarbonate) soda and/or liquid dishwashing detergent.  Let us know if you try anything and if it works.

Brett Woodward

Collections Manager

ETSU and Gray Fossil Site Natural History Museum

BW [brettw29 at yahoo.com]

=====================================

Hi Vicen,

In my experience (and, yes, I did used to smoke) this kind of yellowish nicotine/smoke/dust tinge does clean well in water with a mild soap (such as Orvis soap).  For any specimens that are not water soluble, very friable, containing sulfide oxidation products, subject to matting when wetted, etc., I would recommend washing in room temperature water containing a mild soap.  If the specimen is robust then light brushing with a soft brush will speed the cleaning greatly.  As always, it is important to rinse well and ensure specimens are thoroughly dried before returning to a closed cabinet.

Best wishes,

Rob

Robert Waller, PhD, CAPC, FIIC
President and Senior Risk Analyst
Protect Heritage Corp.
622 Simoneau Way
Ottawa  ON  K4A 1P4
email: rw at protectheritage.com
phone: 613-830-1883
skype: rrwaller

and,

Sessional Adjunct Professor

Queen's University Art Conservation Program
15 Bader Lane
Kingston, ON K7L 3N6
613-533-6000, ext. 74338
Fax 613-533-6889

Ms Vicen Carrió

Geological Conservator/ Preparator

National Museums Scotland

National Museums Collection Centre

242 West Granton Road

Edinburgh EH5 1JA

Phone  +44 (0) 131 247 4254

Fax +44 (0) 131 2474322

v.carrio at nms.ac.uk <mailto:v.carrio at nms.ac.uk>

http://www.nms.ac.uk <http://www.nms.ac.uk>

Note:  My working days are Monday to Thursday

”The world's greatest dressmaker.” Jean Muir: A Fashion Icon.
http://www.nms.ac.uk/jeanmuir

National Museums Scotland, Scottish Charity, No. SC 011130

This communication is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the addressee please inform the sender and delete the email from your system. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of National Museums Scotland. This message is subject to the Data Protection Act 1998 and Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002. No liability is accepted for any harm that may be caused to your systems or data by this message.