[NHCOLL-L:4179] RE: Large glass jars and closures

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Wed Jan 28 23:26:05 EST 2009

Chris

Numerous people on this list (and others) have been searching for such jars for a long time.  Gallon jars with 120mm opening sizes were available up until about 5-6 years ago at which stage all manufacturers stopped making them for some reason.  All jar suppliers that I have contacted no longer stock these as they cannot find a supplier.

We also have a small number of the large 5 gallon jugs still in our collection but these too have been out of production for an extended period of time.

I have been suggesting for some time now that we, as a group (maybe under the auspices of ASIH or SPNHC), need to approach a glass manufacturer to see about the possibility of reinvigorating their production.  For any glassmanufacturer to even consider this, they are going to want an assurance of purchase of a large number to make it financially worth their while but I have not been able to get a large enough group of people to commit to this.

If there are folks on this list who would be interested in persuing this I can contact our jar supplier (KOLS) to see what our options would be.  Maybe they could act as mediator for us in showing demand...  Please contact me off list if you have any interest in using these in your collection (either the 120mm gallon jars or the larger 5 gallon jugs) together with an estimate of your yearly usage (total order amount on a yearly basis) and I will see what we can do.  I will collate all the information anf go to them with a proposal.

Thanks

Andy

    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V
 Andy Bentley
 Ichthyology Collection Manager
 University of Kansas
 Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Research Center
 Dyche Hall
 1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
 Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
 USA