[NHCOLL-L:4363] how to dissolve and puffer paraformaldehyde in the field?

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Wed Jun 24 02:59:11 EDT 2009

Hi all,

for our next field trip to Africa we are considering to fixate specimens
with puffered paraformaldehyde solution; to carry cristalline
paraformaldehyde is onboard of aircraft is  100 % conform with IATA
regulations and thus avoiding difficulties of liquid formalin solutions
(to carry solutions with concentrations < / = 10 % is uneffecetive in
terms of fixations effort per carried quantity).

For puffering, the "Fish Collection Methods and Standards" recommend to
puffer 16g paraformaldehyde with 4 g anhydrous sodium carbonate and
dissolve in 400 ml distilled water to have a 10 % buffered formalin
solution (refers to McAllister, 1965).

Do you have experiences with this method or are there any other methods
to solve and puffer paraformaldehyde ?

Thanks for your comments & help

Dirk

--
Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/