[NHCOLL-L:4365] Re: how to dissolve and puffer paraformaldehyde in the field?

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 08:53:13 EDT 2009

I have not had tried using paraformaldehyde myself, but I did review the
pertinent literature was reviewed in my 2002 publication, *Herpetological
Collecting and Collections Management*.

Taub (1962) recommended using sodium hydroxide and hot water, but this
produces formaldehyde with a pH of 12.  Huheey (1971) suggested calcium
carbonate, which eliminates the need for very hot water, but produces
formaldehyde with a pH of 11.6.  Alconox dissolves the paraformaldehyde
easily, but Nelson and Sparks (1999) cautioned that the resulting solution
will cause clearning and loss of pigments.

Ehmann (1989) suggested preparing dry chemicals to take in the field as
follows:
1.  A plastic bag containing 80 g of paraformaldhyde, 20 g of anhydrous
sodium carbonate, and 0.5 g of a wetting agent (a detergent).
2.  A second plastic bag containing 21 g of citric acid.
In the field, mix the contents of the first bag with 2 liters of water,
stirring constantly until it is dissolved, then agitating the mixure
periodically over the next 4 hr at 20-30 C.  After this, add the contents of
the second bag, stir for 5 minutes, and allow the CO2 gas to escape for 24
hr.  The resulting mixture will be a 10% concentration of formaldehyde with
a neutral pH

Ehmann, H.  1989.  Neutral paraformaldehyde solution for field use.
*Herpetological
Review* 20(2):44-45.

Huheey, J. E.  1971.  Concerning the use of paraformaldehyde as a field
preservative.  *Copeia* 1963(1):192-193.

Nelson, D.W. and J. Sparks.  1999.  Paraformaldehyde/Alconox problems.
 *Curation
Newsletter* 12:1-2.

Taub, A.M.  1962.  The use of paraformaldehyde as a field preservative.  *
Copeia* 1962(1):209-210.

I hope this information is of use.

--John

John E. Simmons
Museologica
128 E. Burnside Street
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823-2010
simmons.johne at gmail.com
303-681-5708
www.museologica.com
and
Adjunct Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
19 Deike Building
University Park, Pennsylvania 16802-2709
jes67 at psu.edu