[NHCOLL-L:4913] Re: Isopropanol as a preservative

malcolm McCallum malcolm.mccallum at herpconbio.org
Sun Aug 1 10:23:16 EDT 2010

The Arkansas State University Museum of Zoology has maintained fishes in
isopropanol for decades.
The hereptology specimens are kept in ethanol (after 24-48 hr fixing in
formalin) for various reasons, but the fishes are housed in isopropanol
and the preservation is pretty darn good.  I do not know if the fishes are
formalin fixed first.

Malcolm

--
Malcolm L. McCallum
Managing Editor,

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"  W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
            and pollution.
2000:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
          MAY help restore populations.
2022: Soylent Green is People!

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not