[NHCOLL-L:4942] Museum Storage class starts Sep 7 online

Helen Alten helen at collectioncare.org
Mon Aug 30 11:51:31 EDT 2010

There is still space in the museum storage class that concentrates on
the specifics of storage furniture and facilities. This is the only time
that the class is offered in 2010.

*MS202: Museum Storage Facilities and Furniture
Instructor: Helen Alten
Price: $475
Dates: Sep 7 through Oct 1, 2010
Location:  Online at www.museumclasses.org

The building and storage furniture are your first line of protection for
the most valuable asset in your museum - the collection. Museum Storage
Facilities and Furniture concentrates on building systems and furniture
for storing and protecting collections. Topics include environmental
controls, insulation, floor coatings and predicting space requirements.
Museum Storage also compares commercial and homemade furniture and
provides a blueprint for planning the redesign of your facility. Storage
philosophy, construction requirements, safety and security and planning.
A unit details how commercial museum-quality cabinetry is constructed.
Blueprints are provided for high-quality, homemade cabinets.

*Course Outline:*
1. Storage Philosophy
2. Agents of Deterioration and Preservation Planning
3. Storage Facilities
4. Storage Furniture
5. Conclusion

*Logistics:*
Participants in Museum Storage Facilities and Furniture work at
individual paces through five sections. Instructor Helen Alten is
available at scheduled times during the course for email support.
Resources include forums and scheduled online chats, PowerPoint
lectures, reading materials and lecture notes and links to relevant web
sites.

Museum Storage Facilities and Furniture runs four weeks. To reserve a
spot in the course, please pay at
http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html If you have trouble please
contact Helen Alten at helen at collectioncare.org

*Student Comments for MS202: Museum Storage Facilities and Furniture:*
The content was perfect for what I was looking for. Though my class
participation as minimal, the materials and information are here, there
are links and lots of jumping off points that provide direction in areas
I'm more interested in, and I can interact as time permits.

I liked the course content, the online nature of the course, the online
chat and the self-paced work. I also liked the upload feature and the
ability to re-submit after uploading for a period of time. . I would
rate my online experience as a 10

I like that the material is at accessible, and I like being able to look
ahead, or review the materials without having to go two or three places
(book at home, papers on desktop, lessons in a deskfile). I like the
journal feature.

I appreciated how thorough the information in the lectures were and
enjoyed the slides which gave "real-life" images.

The chats were the highlight of the course - great to have give-and-take
with colleagues and an experienced conservator like Helen. I felt like
my specific questions were answered.

I really enjoyed having all the extra readings and references. I truly
feel I can use those heavily in the future. The chats were very useful
for having some questions answered.

*The Instructor:*
*Helen Alten*, is the Director of Northern States Conservation Center
and its chief Objects Conservator. For nearly 30 years she has been
involved in objects conservation, starting as a pre-program intern at
the Oriental Institute in Chicago and the University Museum of the
University of Pennsylvania. She completed a degree in Archaeological
Conservation and Materials Science from the Institute of Archaeology at
the University of London in England. She has built and run conservation
laboratories in Bulgaria, Montana, Greece, Alaska and Minnesota. She has
a broad understanding of three-dimensional materials and their
deterioration, wrote and edited the quarterly Collections Caretaker,
maintains the popular www.collectioncare.org web site, lectures
throughout the United States on collection care topics, was instrumental
in developing a state-wide protocol for disaster response in small
Minnesota museums, has written, received and reviewed grants for NEH and
IMLS, worked with local foundations funding one of her pilot programs,
and is always in search of the perfect museum mannequin. She has
published chapters on conservation and deterioration of archeological
glass with the Materials Research Society and the York Archaeological
Trust, four chapters on different mannequin construction techniques in
Museum Mannequins: A Guide for Creating the Perfect Fit (2002),
preservation planning, policies, forms and procedures needed for a small
museum in The Minnesota Alliance of Local History Museums' Collection
Initiative Manual, and is co-editor of the penultimate book on numbering
museum collections (still in process) by the Gilcrease Museum in
Oklahoma. Helen Alten has been a Field Education Director, Conservator,
and staff trainer. She began working with people from small, rural, and
tribal museums while as the state conservator for Montana and Alaska.
Helen currently conducts conservation treatments and operates a
conservation center in Charleston, WV and St. Paul, MN.