[NHCOLL-L:4898] RE: Lasers and Bird feathers

Robert Waller RWALLER at mus-nature.ca
Fri Jul 23 19:13:49 EDT 2010

Hi Abby,
At that long (low energy) wavelength there will be no risk of molecular structural damage to the feather or of light induced fading.  The only remaining concern might be local radiant heating.  I would ask the operator if they ever feel anything if they scan a finger.  If they do not feel any warmth from that then radiant heating is also not an issue.  I suspect that will be the case but please let us know what you learn.
Rob

Robert Waller, PhD, CAPC, FIIC
President and Senior Risk Analyst
Protect Heritage Corp.