[NHCOLL-L:4904] Re: Seeking papers on isopropyl alcohol

A.J.van_Dam at lumc.nl A.J.van_Dam at lumc.nl
Thu Jul 29 05:26:38 EDT 2010

Dear Melissa,

An aspect of isopropanol not yet mentioned:

"Secondary alcohols are readily autoxidized in contact with oxygen or
air, forming ketones and hydrogen peroxide. A partly full bottle of
2-propanol exposed to sunlight for a long period became 0.36 molar in
peroxide and potentially explosive."
[Bretherick, L. Handbook of Reactive Chemical Hazards. 4th ed. Boston,
MA: Butterworth-Heinemann Ltd., 1990, p. 1395] **PEER REVIEWED**

Both ethanol and isopropanol have dehydrative properties which make them
good antiseptics and good preservatives, but also cause to certain
extent tissue shrinkage.

Isopropanol is in terms of stability less recommendable, because it
forms dangerously unstable peroxides. Peroxides are very reactive and
are known to have a bleaching and corrosive effect on the specimen
tissue. Extensive information about isopropanol can be found on TOXNET
in the HSDB database provided by the NIH.

See also my paper about possible alternatives for formalin and ethanol
(comparing also the health and hazard risks) in Collection Forum:
DMDM-Hydantoin: The Promising Result of a Search for an Alternative in
Fluid Preservation of Biological Specimens
http://140.247.98.87/files/CF18-1_2.htm

Regards,

Dries

Andries J. van Dam, conservator

Museum of Anatomy
Leiden University Medical Center
Postal zone T7-P
P.O. Box 9600
2300 RC Leiden
The Netherlands
tel: +31 (0)71 526 9581
fax: +31 (0)71 526 8275
E-mail: A.J.van_Dam at lumc.nl
Visiting address: Hippocratespad 21, building 3

Associate scientist, Natural History Museum, London
http://www.nhm.ac.uk

Directory Board member ICOM-CC
http://www.icom-cc.org

Director Alcomon Company