[NHCOLL-L:4912] Isopropanol as a preservative

Richard Rosenblatt rrosenblatt at ucsd.edu
Sat Jul 31 18:12:49 EDT 2010

Amplifying HJ walkers brief comment, the Scripps Institution of
Oceanography Marine Vertebrate Collection and  UCLA fish collections
converted  to 50% Isopropanol in 1952. I came from UCLA and became
curator in 1958 and continued the policy. The SIO collection now
contains more than two million specimens, many of them delicate
deep-sea fishes. We soon learned of the relative immiscibility of iso
in water and the necessity to stir and bring preservative up to
strength after washing out formalin. One advantage not often
mentioned about iso is that when working with specimens it is not
necessary to keep dipping them in water or spraying nearly as often
as with alcohol specimens. When working with alcohol specimens you
can see the scales curling and the fin-rays rapidly drying out under
the microscope. I attribute this to the 50% water content as well as
the lower vapor pressure of iso.
Without belaboring the point, or entering controversies over possible
chemical reactions, I can say that we have maintained our collection
for more than 50 years in 50% isopropanol  with excellent results.