[NHCOLL-L:4744] The future of natural history museums--the Museum of Urban Ecology!?

Elizabeth Merritt emerritt at aam-us.org
Fri Mar 12 11:53:30 EST 2010

Dear Colleagues,

I just posted this essay
<http://futureofmuseums.blogspot.com/2010/03/museum-design-2034-distribu
ted-museum.html>  on the CFM Blog about the Museum of Urban
Ecology-which doesn't exist yet, but might at some time in the future.
This fictional affiliate of the American Museum of Natural History
(apologies, AMNH-I took authorial liberty, there) is the star of a story
about what a "distributed museum" might look like in a future shaped by
the rise of the amateur expert, technological advances in geo-tagging
and delivery of content via hand-held devices, and the high costs of
creating and maintaining museum buildings. I would be interested to hear
your reactions, especially if you have an alternate story to tell! Feel
free to share this with others, and encourage them to join the
discussion by commenting on the post.

http://futureofmuseums.blogspot.com/2010/03/museum-design-2034-distribut
ed-museum.html

Yours from the future,

Elizabeth Merritt
Founding Director, Center for the Future of Museums
American Association of Museums
1575 Eye Street N.W., Suite 400
Washington, DC 20005
(202)218-7661
<http://www.aam-us.org/am10.cfm> <http://www.aam-us.org/am10/>
  <http://www.aam-us.org/am10/>
AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo(tm)  2010
"Museums Without Borders"
Los Angeles, CA
May 23-26, 2010
Join us in LA!