[NHCOLL-L:5059] Re: is the best method of preserving insect damage fruit

couteaufin at aol.com couteaufin at aol.com
Wed Nov 3 14:54:29 EDT 2010

 If you want to preserve these in fluids, try Kew mixture as a fixative and Copenhagen mixture as a preservative.  Both contain ethanol, water and glycerine and the fix also contains formalin.  I can't quite remember the proportions off the top of my head but they should be google-able!  Emma Tredwell of Kew RBG did a brief paper on these fluids a few years ago.
These fluids maintain turgidity of fruits and the colour is generally quite well maintained.  There are also other colour preservatives for fruits mentioned in Fidler & Wagstaffe's excellent books.
Apologies for the slight vagueness but am away from home!

With all good wishes, Simon.

Simon Moore MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Conservator of Natural Sciences,
20 Newbury Street,