[NHCOLL-L:5073] Insurance and Loans

Jane MacKnight JMacKnight at cincymuseum.org
Wed Nov 10 10:51:30 EST 2010

Our director is questioning our practice of maintaining our own
insurance for outgoing loan specimens.  I know that the practice among
natural history museums/collections is for the lender to maintain its
own insurance for research loans.

I know that reason that I want to continue to maintain insurance - I
don't have an insurance value for specimens and loans may be multi-year
so the workload of securing certificates of insurance from borrowers is
beyond our capacity.  The sysAre there other reasons?  Has anyone
changed this practice and require insurance from the borrower on
research loans?

Thanks.

Jane

Jane C MacKnight

Senior Registrar

Cincinnati Museum Center

1301 Western Avenue

Cincinnati, OH 45203

T: 513-287-7092

F: 513-455-7169

Cell: 513-478-8168

www.cincymuseum.org <http://www.cincymuseum.org>

Change your view of our universe with Hubble, our new film in the OMNIMAX Theater. And in its final months, explore five centuries of African American history in America I AM: The African American Imprint. See the innovation, the creativity and sacrifice, and walk away inspired.