[NHCOLL-L:4995] valuation of collections

Opitz, Cindy cindy-opitz at uiowa.edu
Wed Oct 6 17:27:03 EDT 2010

I'd like to hear from colleagues about how you approach collection valuation and where you turn when tasked with assigning value to natural history collections. I understand that collections hold scientific/research value as well as monetary value. We have over 112,000 biological specimens (birds, mammals, insects, aquatic invertebrates), and ethnographic/ archaeological objects...where do you begin?

Cindy Opitz
Collections Manager
Pentacrest Museums: Museum of Natural History
and Old Capitol Museum
11 Macbride Hall
The University of Iowa
Iowa City IA 52242