[NHCOLL-L:5006] flat study skins

Steve Sullivan ssullivan at naturemuseum.org
Thu Oct 14 21:59:56 EDT 2010

I am interested in people's thoughts on flat study skins vs the traditional
round ones.  I see several advantages to flat skins including decreased
storage space needs and ease of preparation.

Related to this topic, I can also see advantages, at least with small
mammals, to making a lateral incision instead of a ventral one, retaining
the toes with the skin opposite the incision but making the remainder of the
skeleton into a specimen, including the toes from the incision side.

I have seen a variety of references to these techniques but have seldom seen
many such specimens in collections.

Sorry if you got this twice-I did post it to both NHCOLL and MAMMAL since I
suspect there will be some differing perspectives.

--Steve

Steven M. Sullivan  |  Curator of Urban Ecology

The Chicago Academy of Sciences and its Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum

Museum  |  2430 North Cannon Drive  |  Chicago, Illinois 60614  |
naturemuseum.org <http://www.naturemuseum.org/>

Collections Facility  | 4001 North Ravenswood Ave.  |  Chicago, Illinois
60613  |  ProjectSquirrel.org <http://projectsquirrel.org/>

708-937-6253  |  Fax 773-755-5199  |  ssullivan at naturemuseum.org

The Urban Gateway To Nature And Science