[NHCOLL-L:5020] Labeling frozen, ethanol and nitrogen tissue tubes

Carol Spencer atrox10 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 18:24:01 EDT 2010

Hi NH-Coll:

Awhile ago I requested information from researchers about pens/markers to be
used for writing on cryotubes for ethanol, frozen, or liquid nitrogen usage.
Since that time we at MVZ have gone through a couple of marker types and
seem to have found one that works well in all types of fluid.

This is the VWR Histology Chemical-Resistant Marker, see information below.

Previously VWR had changed their formula and their markers were not working,
so we switched to the Moist-Mark Cancer Diagnostics Pen (
http://www.labsafety.com/Moist-Mark-Plus-Pen_s_141667/Label-Accessories_24541186/).
This Moist-mark pen is very good with frozen or nitrogen tubes, BUT it will
run when used with ethanol or other chemicals, especially when used on tubes
that are very smooth and do not have a white area for writing. Since we keep
our tubes in -80C, switching to liquid nitrogen, and we also use them when
sending loans of tissue in 95% ethanol, we needed to mark with ink that will
not come off in all situations.

When using the VWR marker, you should still allow the writing to dry
completely (several minutes) before put any ethanol or other liquid into the
tube.  If you rub the writing a lot, it will fade a bit, but overall this
pen seems to work the most consistently.
Thanks,
Carol

VWR® Chemical-Resistant Marker *Supplier:* VWR International
    * *  [image: VWR® Chemical-Resistant
Marker]<https://www.vwrsp.com/catjpg/081/081631.jpg>

Precision ultrafine tip permanently marks slides and cassettes. Ink is
waterproof, smearproof, odorless, and resistant to most chemicals, including
alcohol, formalin, and xylene. Color: black.
  * *
  [image: View Shopping Basket] <https://www.vwrsp.com/myvwr/sb/index.cgi>
*Description*   *VWR Catalog#*   *Unit*   *Price*   *Quantity*    VWRHISTOLOGY
MARKER PK12   95042-566   Pack of 12   $55.70        Please verify that you
have logged in. This item is restricted for purchase to customers with an
established account and the proper documentation on file. If you are logged
in and believe you should have access to this item, please contact us for
additional help at 1-888-320-4357.    [image: View Shopping
Basket]<https://www.vwrsp.com/myvwr/sb/index.cgi>

--
Carol L. Spencer, Ph.D.
Staff Curator of Herpetology & Researcher
atrox10 at gmail.com
atrox at berkeley.edu
TEL: 510-643-5778 /FAX: 510-643-8238

http://www.herpnet.org