[NHCOLL-L:5036] Re: Fwd: EU shipments

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Tue Oct 26 03:37:25 EDT 2010

Sorry Carol, your answer is in parts misleading and incorrect.

For species protection issues, the statement "*scientific samples*" as
description of goods in most of the commercial invoices issues in US
Museums *is insufficient for customs clearance*; there are alone more
then 800 protected snakes under CITES (excluding the in parts stricter
European animal protection regulations). We need the scientific name (at
least to familiy level for undetermined species) to facilitate the
import regarding animal harmonised protection legislation of EC
memberstates.

Concerning vet regulations:
The European veterinarian legislation is not harmonised, leading to a
different implementation of the European laws in the single member
states. Currently, a comprehensive amendment is discussed in Brussels,
which stipulates in the current version the inspection of all animal
from the class insecta and arachnida. We (CETAF & SPNHC) are lobbying
against that with pretty good success at the moment, but there is no
final decision so far.

What is clear already now, that we will need to improve our shipping
docs / the documentation of the specimens shipped. A common standard for
shipping docs was recommended in previous postings.

The assumption that your parcels with lizards sent to Germany would
include living specimens might be due to lacking information regarding
fixation and preservation of the specimens included. This information in
vital for vets clearance and needs to be included on any commercial
invoice or shipping dos.

*********
Greg,

regarding your specimens for Spain, please adjust the text from the
attached shipping docs for your needs without changing the meaning of
the text much. You need to include the following information to
facilitate import and customs (animal protection issues) and vets clearance:

Include the scientific names either on the shipping doc, or better refer
to an attached loan form (which makes clear, that the specimens included
are state property)
Update the preservation/fixation information if necessary.
Change the Country of origin to (United States of America) if the
specimens sent are from your collection; if you return specimens on
loan, it should be Spain (EC specimens returned to a EC memberstate are
not  subject for inspection under the current legislation - if
inspected, costs can be claimed)

Please omit the information in the table of the shipping doc, as all
information in there is ZSM specific.

All the best

Dirk

--
Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/