[NHCOLL-L:5393] Need help identifying marine mammal teeth

Jody Ullman collections at thevlm.org
Fri Apr 29 13:03:56 EDT 2011

First of all thank you to all who replied to my request to ID a primate
skull.  It was finally determined to be a pygmy marmoset.
Now I have found several teeth in the collection of marine mammal materials
that are not identified.  I have attached photos. The first shows both
teeth. They measure approx. 3.8cm and 2.2cm in length. The second shows a
broken tooth. The third jpg shows a slightly curved tooth that measures
about 4.5 cm. It is listed simply as whale on the card.  The last photo
shows a tooth, very similar to the teeth in the first photo, but smaller
(only 2cm in length.  It too was listed as whale, but I am sure that it is
wrong.

Any help in identifying this would be greatly appreciated.  You may reply
off-line.

Jody Ullmann
Collections Manager
Virginia Living Museum