[NHCOLL-L:5518] Collections storage online class starts July 5

Helen Alten helen at collectioncare.org
Thu Jun 16 03:57:05 EDT 2011

*MS201: Storage for Infinity: An Overview of Museum Storage Principles*
Instructor: Helen Alten
Price: $475
Dates: July 5 to Aug 12, 2011
Location: online at www.museumclasses.org
*
Storage for Infinity covers everything you need to know to limit damage
to stored collections. Participants will learn about building new
storage areas and retrofitting existing space. Other topics include
constructing support mounts and storage security. The material
emphasizes philosophy and planning, handling, materials and techniques.

*Course Outline:*
1. Introduction
2. Storage Philosophy
3. Agents of Deterioration and Preservation Planning
4. Storage Facilities
5. Storage Furniture
6. Preparing Collections for Storage
7. Storage Materials
8. Storage Mounts
9. Storage of Specific Collections
10. Funding Improvements
11. Conclusion

*Logistics:*
Participants in Storage for Infinity work at their own pace through 11
sections. Instructor Helen Alten is available at scheduled times during
the course for email support. Materials include PowerPoint lectures,
reading materials and lecture notes. Supporting resources include
message forums, weekly online chats projects, quizzes and links to
relevant web sites. The course is limited to 20 participants.

Storage for Infinity runs six weeks. To reserve a spot in the course,
please pay at http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html  If you have
trouble please contact Helen Alten at helen at collectioncare.org

*Student Comments from MS201: Storage for Infinity: An Overview of
Museum Storage Principles:*
My first online class. I plan to do more.

I am so glad that you offered this course. I found it very beneficial.

The most valuable part of the class will be the reference book I
compiled with all the lectures, forums, assignments, additional
readings, etc. This class contained a staggering amount of information!
Something like this is much more accessible, no travel expenses or
'lost' work time.

The layout of the web site made perfect sense to me. The flow of it was
easy to follow and it was nice to be able to see what things had
transpired/been posted.

You seem very approachable and knowledgeable, Helen. This was a good
opportunity for meeting new colleagues and networking.

You could not have decided to offer a course any more relevant to the
precise issues that our institution is currently dealing with. Tons of
detailed info. and a lot of practical help that will actually be useful
in daily operations.

This was my first online class and I believe that it was quite a success
thanks to the organization that was provided by yourselves. I did not
know what to expect but both of you have surely set a very high standard
of excellence in online courses.

*The Instructor:*
*Helen Alten*, is the Director of Northern States Conservation Center
and its chief Objects Conservator. For nearly 30 years she has been
involved in objects conservation, starting in 1980 at the Oriental
Institute in Chicago and the University Museum of the University of
Pennsylvania. She completed a degree in Archaeological Conservation and
Materials Science from the Institute of Archaeology at the University of
London in England in 1986. She has built and run conservation
laboratories in Bulgaria, Montana, Greece, Alaska, Minnesota and West
Virginia. She has a broad understanding of three-dimensional materials
and their deterioration, wrote and edited the quarterly Collections
Caretaker, maintains the popular www.collectioncare.org web site,
lectures throughout the United States on collection care topics, and
advised on storage upgrades at museums throughout the US. Helen Alten
has been a Field Education Director, Conservator, and staff trainer. She
began working with people from small, rural, and tribal museums while as
the state conservator for Montana and Alaska. Helen currently conducts
conservation treatments and operates a conservation center in
Charleston, WV and St. Paul, MN.