[NHCOLL-L:5402] dermestid proof bags

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Thu May 5 09:26:27 EDT 2011

I should have asked for responses to go to the list so that others may
be able to render comment or add to any responses. Below is one that
indicates using a sealed bag should be ok.

I have seen this technique used often for dry specimens, and have used
it myself for skins and skeletons (though not for freeze-dried
specimens).  The Zip-Loc brand of bags is often recommended as these are
made of polyethylene, which is an inert plastic.

Dermestids will chew through the plastic bags to get to the specimens if
they are hungry enough.  We had a few instances of this at the museum I
used to work in.  If you have a good integrated pest management program
in place with sticky trapping in the collections storage area, you
should be able to detect pests before they could damage the specimen
bags.

As for protocol, you want to make sure that the plastic bags used are
reasonably thick and made of polyethylene.  Do not allow the bags to be
exposed to UV from sunlight or unfiltered fluorescent tubes, as UV will
cause a photodeterioration reaction of the plastic.  For long-term
storage, I recommend buying bags from a reputable conservation supply
house such as Gaylord.

Specimens should be placed in the bags and the bags sealed when the
relative humidity is below 65% (trapping air of 65% RH or higher in the
bags may allow mold growth).

As with any storage system, the bags should be monitored regularly to
detect instances of closure failure or other issues.

Dr. John R. Grehan
Director of Science and Research
Buffalo Museum of Science
1020 Humboldt Parkway