[NHCOLL-L:5422] RE: quick show of hands for wet collection temp/humidity levels

Thomas Labedz tlabedz1 at unl.edu
Thu May 12 17:48:01 EDT 2011

Our rooms for fluid-preserved specimens are not on a separate air-handling
system from the dry collections areas.  For the fluid rooms typically the
temperature holds very steady at about 68F.  In winter the humidity holds
steady, but often varies from winter to winter, usually around 15%.  In
summer it holds steady but usually around 50%.  Spring and fall can see some
fluctuations as we transition.  We used to have all metal lids on the
specimen jars and even slight temp variation would cause some to "back-off".
All lids are now polypropylene with polyethylene liners. However, we've had
near total failure of the building's systems this week during repairs.  Temp
in my office hit 85F and humidity is about 60%.  I'll be checking things
thoroughly once conditions stabilize.

Thomas E. Labedz, Collections Manager
Division of Zoology and Division of Botany
University of Nebraska State Museum
W-436 Nebraska Hall
900 N. 16th St.
Lincoln, NE  68588-0514