[NHCOLL-L:5438] RE: permanent storage of insect genatalia

Couteaufin at aol.com Couteaufin at aol.com
Fri May 13 16:22:53 EDT 2011

There are various fluids from the past for storage of many different parts
or types of arthropods and although I agree with the addition of a
humectant to  prevent drying out, glycerine is a useful mould/mold medium although
its use has  often combined the use of fungal inhibitors such as thymol (now
banned) and  menthol.
Has anyone thought of using propylene glycol as a humectant instead?   I
have not had any problem with mould growing in 5% aqueous solutions of  this.

With all good  wishes, Simon

Simon Moore MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Conservator of Natural  Sciences,

_www.natural-history-conservation.com_