[NHCOLL-L:5446] Save Ornithology at the Barrick Museum!

Kevin Winker kevin.winker at alaska.edu
Sun May 22 14:29:17 EDT 2011

Dear colleagues,

The dire message below that I received from John Klicka represents a
last-ditch attempt to preserve the only remaining collections-based program
in biology at the Marjorie Barrick Museum of Natural History, University of
Nevada Las Vegas. If you can send an email in support of this productive and
important program it might help. I've taken the liberty of expanding the
recipient list to include people in decision-making roles at UNLV and of
drafting a brief response upon which you might base an email to them (in
addition, see Klicka's message below and copy him so that he can pool the
details of your support and use them locally).

Thanks,
--
Kevin Winker
University of Alaska Museum

DRAFT email:

Neal J. Smatresk (President, UNLV) , president at unlv.edu
Ronald Smith (VP for Research), ron.smith at unlv.edu
Dr. Oliver Hemmers (Director, OSEP), oliver.hemmers at unlv.edu

Dear Drs. Smatresk, Smith, and Hemmers,

I urge you to save the single position representing the Ornithology program
at the Marjorie Barrick Museum of Natural History. This program has had an
important scientific impact in ornithology, biodiversity, and the genetics
of wildlife management. It has earned UNLV wide renown in these fields and
represents a program of excellence at your institution in research, in
student training, and in the research resource of the bird collection. The
loss of this position and this program would be a significant blow to UNLV’s
national and international reputation.

Sincerely, XXX

EMAIL FROM: John Klicka klicka at unlv.nevada.edu

Dear Colleagues:

            As many of you have likely heard, due to a prolonged economic
downturn in Nevada the Curator of Birds position at the Marjorie Barrick
Museum will likely lose its state funding after July 2011. This decision was
ultimately made by the University's Vice President for Research (a long-term
administrator, formerly a chair in the Sociology Department). The Director
of my academic unit (Dr. Oliver Hemmers [Oliver.hemmers at unlv.edu], an expert
in X-ray atomic and molecular spectroscopy) has suggested that it might be
helpful if I solicited some opinions from outside sources that would argue
in support of the continued operation of the Ornithology program at the
Barrick Museum.

            The immediate problems appear to be two-fold. First, Oliver has
told me that the VP for Research believes that museum work is antiquated and
no longer relevant in the modern world.  He needs to be informed that the
type of work being done in the Ornithology program is of critical importance
in these days of disappearing habitats and climate change.  Second, the VP
for Research is apparently under the impression that nearly all we do in
this program is collect, prepare, and catalogue specimens.  Of course, as
specimen-based researchers our group does these things, but the program has
also been very productive with respect to student training and original
research. Since 2006 we have produced 26 peer-reviewed publications and have
given 22 presentations at national or international meetings (see web links
below). The single state line associated with this program (the Curator
position) thus produces a considerable return for the University.  Our VP
for Research needs to be informed that we do better than average work here,
and that despite its small size, the Barrick Museum Ornithology Program and
its collections have put UNLV on the map in the Ornithological world at an
international level.

            If this sounds like a desperate, last-ditch effort to save yet
another museum program from disappearing, it is.  It is possible that the VP
for Research may not change his mind, but I'd like for him to know that
some  very qualified people recognize the important contributions that this
program makes to UNLV and to science and that they (you) do not approve of
his decision.  If you choose to help, please expand on the themes mentioned
above and send your views to Dr. Oliver Hemmers at
oliver.hemmers at unlv.edu(and please CC me).  Your support is much
appreciated.

Regards,    --John Klicka

Publications here: