[NHCOLL-L:5743] Re: fluid preservatives

Couteaufin at aol.com Couteaufin at aol.com
Wed Nov 30 17:01:33 EST 2011

Thanks Andy and I would endorse your statement adding that I would  always
be careful/wary of fluid transfers for collections.  The formalin to
alcohol (fixative to preservative) technique works well and has been so for many
years.  Sometimes though certain situations arise where alcohol is mooted
for gallery display and then all the H&S officers get twitchy due to
flammability and evaporation issues, particularly if hot display lights are a
necessity!  Ensure that your jars don't leak - that they are either sealed  or,
if of ground glass, are greased correctly (more info can be supplied).

With all good  wishes,
Simon Moore MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Conservator of Natural  Sciences,
20 Newbury Street,