[NHCOLL-L:5704] Fumigation Advice Request

Joseph Jr. Whittaker jwhittak at cord.edu
Wed Oct 26 12:29:31 EDT 2011

Hello,

I am a recent hire at Concordia College in Moorhead, MN, and will be working with the mammal and bird collections.  We have found a moth infestation problem in the bird and mammal collection (same room also houses insects and herbarium).  We are wanting to fumigate but are concerned because there are a lot of wall-mounted specimens (both birds and mammals) and we do not want to use something that might damage or leave a harmful residue on the mounts.  We have considered freezing, but there are too many mounts to make that feasible.  Can anyone provide any suggestions about something effective against moths and dermestids that will not damage the pigments in feathers and fur?

Thanks for any help you can provide and feel free to respond off-list if you would prefer.  If interested, I can post a list of responses.

Joe

Joseph C. Whittaker, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor of Biology
262 Jones Science Center